Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bloodlines.... Make or Break?

Ok, so today I want to talk about bloodlines. Not specific bloodlines, but just bloodlines in general and how they affect your decision on a horse. Not every horse that is bred for a certain discipline ends up being good at it, and some don't even show potential. Then you get other horses who might be bred for something, but they have the conformation, mindset, the drive, and the potential needed to do something completely different. So, when you are shopping for a horse for a specific discipline, do you make certain bloodlines a requirement in your search, or do you look for a horse that simply has what it takes, and can do it? I understand if you are searching for a young horse, you would base a lot on their breeding, but I want to know, if you are looking a started horse, or an older horse, how much would you consider bloodlines.

So, let's say you are shopping for a horse for your discipline. You find two that you really like. One has the breeding for it, and seems like a good choice. The other also seems like a good choice, very nice, but he is bred towards a different discipline. Would you automatically say no to the horse that wasn't bred for it, or would you evaluate both fairly, and make your decision?

This question came to me the other day, when I went to visit a mare I have in barrel training. I was visiting with the trainer, we were talking about my mare, and other potential barrels horses, just basic barrel talk. We started talking about how his stallion was bred, and some of his colts. Then, the trainer turns to me... "Speaking of breeding, I meant to ask you how Mocha was bred last time I talked to you." He went on to tell me that she acted a little more on the hot/race bred side of the barrel breeding, but by conformation, size, etc. he had guessed she was either race bred crossed on something, or not race bred at all.

I laughed a little, and looked over at my mare standing in the paddock. "Nope, she isn't race bred. In fact, she doesn't have an ounce of barrel breeding in her. She's all old quarter horse, ranch breeding." With that said, he talked to me a little bit more about her, and then... "Well, so far she is coming along great, I think she'll make a good barrel horse. She might not run with the top horses, but she'll be good. Why did you decide to get her as a barrel prospect if she wasn't bred for it." I smiled... "That's an easy answer. I saw her and I rode her. Then I decided to get her. I liked her build, I liked her look, I liked her handle, and I liked her mindset. The only thing I didn't like was that she was about 2 months pregnant, and I knew it would be a while before I could really do anything with her."

We talked some more, I thanked him, and went home, pondering the conversation in my head. So what if my little mare isn't bred for what she is in training for. I'm determined to try and make something out of her, because I think she can do it, and do it well.

So, voice your opinions on that kind of thing, bloodlines and potential versus just raw potential and talent, bloodlines excluded. What would you choose and why?

7 comments:

  1. Nice blog, and interesting post.
    I wrote out a comment, but it dissapeared in outer space somewhere, and now it's late and I'm heading for bed. I'll try again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HorseOfCourse;
    Thank you, I just started the blog...
    Sorry your comment disappeared. I will be looking forward to what you have to say tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-I popped over from Mugs blog...I love bloodline discussions, so I had to come check you out.
    My family raises "ranch"/foundation bred horses, mostly geared toward barrel racing and roping. So I am curious when you say your mare is "ranch" bred, not necessarily barrel racing bred? How is she bred?
    There are a lot of bloodlines out there that have produced winning barrel horses that people seem to conveniently forget about.

    Welcome to the Blogworld.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BrownEyed Cowgirls -
    What bloodlines do most of your horses have?
    Here is my mare's pedigree;
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/descent+sandy+ray

    She might be sort of geared towards barrels, but she isn't anything close to "today's" barrel breeding. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that if you have a specific goal with your riding, it’s easier to reach it with a horse that is specifically bred for the purpose. So if I’m looking for a dressage horse, I’ll search for a WB with a dressage breeding. If it’s well bred it will have the confirmation and gaits that makes the work easier. But ultimately it’s down to the individual itself.

    Apart from the more “hard facts” like price, educational level, conformation, gaits, age, health history etc there are the more intangible qualities like mentality, and what feel you get when you ride the horse. Like us humans have preferences when it comes to other people, the horse and rider have to like each other too.
    A good match (both personally-wise and purpose-wise) and a good mentality is in my eyes the most important, and the horse has to be healthy.
    From time to time I help people to find a suitable horse. I believe finding the right horse is a bit of a process. You discuss things through, you go and try some horses out, and then the potential buyer form a clearer opinion of what she wants.
    Problem is that it’s difficult to be impartial when you’re there to give advice. I have my preferences too, and they might differ from the potential buyer.
    So what I usually do is to help to check out all the hard facts. Ask the right questions. Try to make up a fair evaluation of the horse’s mind, which might be difficult on a short visit (and where you also have to consider that the horse may behave differently on new premises and with a new owner). Check what feeling I get when I ride. And I tell the future owner that she should find the horse so fun to ride that she doesn’t want to get off. That’s a good start. You have to fall a bit in love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HorseOfCourse- Thank you for a little insight. I especially like your last sentence ;). So from your example, I take it you do dressage? I have always loved to watch Dressage, never ride it though, I'm not an english person... lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes.
    The match-making is the most important thing, IMO. The horse can have good qualities, but not suit the owner-to-be.
    But I guess what I was trying to say was that you try to make a sensible evaluation, but your heart has to be in it too :-)
    With my present horse I threw away all my principles just because I lost my heart, lol. Not sensible at all. But great fun!

    ReplyDelete